Monday, December 9, 2013

How-To Freeze Your Garlic

How-To Freeze Your Garlic
by Fay Gliksman



I am not sure about you but I LOVE garlic and thankfully so does my family. I also like my garlic to have a full body taste, not mild or like it have been in storage away for years.

For me being a Vegan and eating healthily it is important to have the least processed and chemical intervension with my food and ingredients.

So, saying this, when fresh local Garlic was in season, I thought that I would try my hand at Freezing Garlic to future use.

Here is how I do it and it works beautifully. Super easy, ready to use when needed and full of flavour.

Click Through for Tutorial

Buy or use only nice fresh in-season Garlic. Try to buy locally grown if you can.
 Break up into single cloves and cut the hard end off.
 Hold the flat wide part of the knife on the clove and press down with the palm of your hand. The skin will crack or break off. REMEMBER to becare when using a shape knife.


 A bowl of water is good to keep close by as your knife and hands can become sticky.
 Place the cloves of garlic in a Food Processor or blender. I used a Thermomix.

 Process until small fine pieces. This sould only take a matter of seconds to do.
 I like to use Ice Cube Trays for this as I can fill each one with 1tsp of crushed garlic. This helps knowing how much is in each cube for when you need to follow a recipe.

 When you have completed filling the tray/s. Place in the freezer as is for a few hours or overnight.
 When they are frozen, turn the cubes out onto a plate.

 Working quickly, place the cubes into zip-lock freezer bags and put the bag/s into the freezer ready for use.



No comments:

Post a Comment